Social influence (SI) -> efforts by one or more persons to change behavior, attitude, perceptions and beliefs of one or more others.
Persuasions-> efforts to change behavior or attitude through the usage of message.
There are three types of SI.
(1) Conformity (Keakuran kepada kelompok)
- a type of SI in which persons change behavior/attitude on their own to fulfill social norms.
- originated from pressure to follow social norms.
(2)Compliance (Kepatuhan kepada permintaan orang lain)
- a type of SI in which persons change behavior/attitude in response to other's direct request
(3)Obedience (Ketaatan kepada pihak berkuasa)
- a type of SI in which persons obeys a direct order from another to perform an action.
There are 3 factors affecting compliance
a) Cohesiveness- the degree of attraction felt by an individual toward some groups.
if cohesiveness increase, the pressure toward conformity increasing also.
b) Size of group- the no of persons exerting in SI.
as groups size increasing, conformity increase too.
c) Type of Social Norms
(i) Destructive-indicate what the most people do in a given situation
- based on perception of others, frequency of behavior, observation on how people behave in discrete situation.
- help to strengthen prosocial behavior.
(ii) Injuctive-indicate what ought to be done (what people feels is right)
- based on perceived approval by behavior and represent perceived moral rules of the peer groups.
- help to strengthen behavior in situation where people not behave in social beneficial ways.
SOCIAL NORMs- rules indicating how people are expected to behave in certain situation
(i) EXPLICIT- written, precise, and details
(ii) IMPLICIT- unwritten, unspoken, influenced by current and rapidly standard change of dress, speech and personal grooming.